File picture of a Prayagraj Development Authority bulldozer demolishing shopkeeper Safdar Ali’s properties in the Chakiya area, in Prayagraj, on March 2, 2023. Ali was said to be a close aid of Atiq Ahmad
| Photo Credit: PTI
The Supreme Court on Tuesday (April 1, 2025) pulled up the Uttar Pradesh government and Prayagraj Development Authority calling its demolition of homes in the city “inhuman and illegal”.
Observing the demolition action was carried out in a “high handed” manner, a bench comprising Justices Abhay S. Oka and Ujjal Bhuyan said there was “rule of law in the country” and residential structures of citizens couldn’t be demolished in such fashion.

“This shocks our conscience. There is something called right to shelter, due process of law,” the bench said.
The top court, therefore, directed the authority to pay within six weeks ₹10 lakh compensation each to the house owners.
Bulldozer on the loose: On demolition of property of Muslim activists
The apex court had previously slammed the Uttar Pradesh government over the demolition action in Prayagraj without following the due legal procedure and said it sent a “shocking and wrong signal”.
The petitioners’ counsel had said the State government wrongly demolished the houses thinking the land belonged to gangster-politician Atiq Ahmed, who was killed in 2023 in a police encounter.
The top court was hearing a plea by advocate Zulfiqar Haider, professor Ali Ahmed and others whose houses were demolished.
The Allahabad High Court had rejected their plea challenging the demolition. The petitioners had been reportedly served a notice on March 6, 2021 with respect to certain constructions at Lukerganj in Prayagraj district.
Published – April 01, 2025 02:11 pm IST